Friday, April 13, 2012

Tutorial on labeling slom jars

As I like to say often, "this isn't the easiest project to do" :)....really its not that bad if you can get the decal transfer paper and your fingers to work togethor, welllll you got it made!!! It was all worth it though!

MATERIALS

-Decal transfer paper (you can purchase online http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180837981599) very inexpensive
-Can of spray enamel (acrylic didn't hold up for me)
-dry paper towel, wet paper towel
-small bowl of water
-Ink jet printer (not laser)
-timer (I didn't use one but some may prefer)
-jars
-blow dryer

as far as labels go I made my own it's really easy, you can use word, photoshop, etc to make your labels
I also used a template from "The Painted Hive" as she was sooo kind to make them and share!! click and print http://thepaintedhive.blogspot.com/2012/02/magic-decal-transfer-tutorial-with-free.html.... once you have printed your labels spray the sheets really well with the spray enamel and let dry, I let mine dry for a couple of hours, I wanted to make sure I had a good seal



Making sure you have your labels in which ever you decide to do, cut each label into a nice square as it seems to work better and looks much nicer as well. I went ahead and cleaned my jars really well as these are NOT dishwasher safe. Not only will it mess up your label but the seal as well, so do not place in the dishwasher!

Once you have your labels printed out, cut, and jars cleaned get your small bowl of water ready and make sure the water isn't hot or too warm. Choose on the jar where you would prefer to place your label and dampen that area with your paper towel (you may have to dampen it a few times) while waitng on your label in the bowl





Place the label in the small bowl of water for about 45-50 seconds or when you feel the clear paper start to separate from the backing and you can get a good hold on it with your fingers, be gentle! you don't want it to rip as it's very fragile...........

if you are able to sperate the paper from the backing, remove from water and gently place your thumb under the clear paper to gently transfer it onto the desired area of the jar, yes you will have bubbles!! That's the F.U.N part, working out the bubbles, did I mention fun????????



gently work out those air bubbles
I went over mine with the wet paper towel first than used my dry paper towel...

When all the air bubbles are worked out and you are happy with the placement of the label than grab the blow dryer and dry for about 5-10 minutes, waaa laaa you have your labeled slom jar and I hope you are as happy with yours as I am mine!!!! My favorite project yet!!!! But than again I have many favorite projects! Ahhh the crafting world.................



ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!





















No comments:

Post a Comment